Thursday, January 8, 2009

A little snip for a BIG cause...

Ok - "a little snip" is putting it mildly...but I've grown it out for as long as I could and finally couldn't take it anymore! I actually used to wear my hair this long if not longer in High School and College (as many of you may remember) but I have 2 children that like to play with it and when I was able to layer it, it was a little more "fun and fancy free". Without the layers it just isn't the same for me. Finally my hair reached 20" long and I thought - sure I can deal with just 9-10 inches left over. That will bring it almost down to my shoulders....NOT! As 'Nate' began to cut the ponytails - I realized I should've gone with 23" maybe 24" - that would've given me plenty of room to spare. But as he cut and cut and cut - it got shorter and surprisingly cuter...It's a change no doubt - but I'm grateful to know it will grow back.
Enjoy the before (the long hair picture was from Mia's Winter Solstice Celebration at school Dec 16, 2008) and after (Hair cut done on January 8, 2009) ...it's pretty shocking - and if you want more information about donating your hair for a worthy cause...check out these 2 websites:

Locks of Love (which requires a minimum of 10"):
http://www.locksoflove.org/index.html

and also Pantene's Beautiful Lengths (which requires a minimum of 8"):
http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index_home.jsp

Mia is already jumping on the chopping hair bandwagon...mostly because her friends at school have "short" hair but I lovingly explained that if she wants to chop it like this - she has to grow it out a little longer first so it's not beautiful, wasted hair! Elliot on the other hand - wants to chop hers too, but hers finally started growing and we like it that way! So hers will have to stay - a lot longer!!!
With love, k

PS: Please also note - if you have a bundle of hair (in a braid or ponytail) that is not 10" or more - Locks of Love will accept it, sell it for the $ to help offset their not for profit costs!!! So no matter what - every inch counts! (but Mia still has to wait!)